About Me

My photo
I'm an artist, convenience store general manager, Nine Inch Nails fan, and hopeless internet addict. And now I'm a marathoner! Blogged By Jaye is my general-purpose blog, and Fat to Finish Line is my running journal. Occasional foul language included on both sites.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Marathon Training, week 1

19 weeks until race day.

I'm currently without internet access, and having to use my Blackberry as my primary computer, which is a pain in the ass. Lightning struck near our house on Tuesday night, knocking out a transformer, frying one of our TVs, and doing something catastrophic to Mediacom's infrastructure.

One would think having no internet would make my training easier by removing distracions, but it doesn't. I can't access my trainer's schedule on my phone. I was all excited about ordering my new running shoes once I got my reimbursement, but I had to wait until I could go to my parents' house and use their internet connection, so I don't have them yet. I can only do basic tracking on my Sparkpeople app, and that doesn't allow adding mileage or workout notes.

And we've been told they might not be able to get it fixed until as late as the 3rd. Grr.

Be that as it may, though, training goes on.

Sunday we went to the gym in the late afternoon/evening and did an hour on the elliptical.

Monday, then, we had an appointment with our trainer. Kourt, however, came home from work with a serious headache, so I went myself. At our last appointment he put together a triceps and back workout, so Monday was shoulders and quads. I was going to do some cardio after, but by the time Andrew was done torturing me with drop sets my legs just didn't have it in them. Plus, my plantar fasciitis flared up out of nowhere on Monday, and my right foot ached.

Tuesday, though, I ran. I've put together a little list of progressively more challenging workouts for each component of my training routine, and my plan is that when I've completed one twice I'll take it off the list and go to the next one. I've been running intervals on Running Tuesdays, running at an easy pace of 5mph and walking 1/4 mile rest intervals at 3.5mph. So I decided to up the rests to 4mph and try to push through 1/2 mile running intervals for the whole distance. I wasn't sure I could do it, but I persevered. And as long as I was running my foot didn't hurt as much as it did while I was standing on it at work. And then we ran right off to give blood to help the victims of the tornado in Joplin. My blood pressure has never been very high, but it was noticeably lower than it has been in the past. My pulse was kind of high, but I had just run 3 miles, so I figure that's to be expected.

Since I had the workout with Andrew on what is usually our rest day, I took Wednesday as a rest instead, especially since we'd just given blood and I didn't want to push my luck. Then Thursday I intended to dive right back in with some incline work for Walking Thursday. Unfortunately, I ended up skipping. We have these weekly sales goals in the summer, and Kourt bought enough of our store brand energy drink to make sure her store met the goal. That means we've got a bag full of these things here, and although I don't like the taste as much as my Rock Star, and don't like the fact that it's sweetened with HFCS and sucralose, we've got a ton and might as well drink it. I'm hopelessly addicted to caffiene, and one would assume that all energy drinks have copious amounts of it, but by about 8pm I had a throbbing withdrawal headache and noticed that caffiene is listed fairly far down in the ingredient list. Once the headache is there, just consuming caffiene won't get rid of it. I hoped if I just waited it out it might subside to a tolerable level, but by the time I got home I had no choice but to take an NSAID, and wasn't about to risk barfing on a treadmill after that.

So I held off on my incline interval workout until after our training session on Friday. By then, my foot was back to being pain free. Andrew put us through a very hard hamstring and chest workout, after which it took some effort to even punch the buttons on the treadmill. I made it through the first mile and a half of my planned workout, but my legs were just too exhausted to take on tough hills like that for the rest of the 4 miles. I'll try it again next week, not on a day I lift weights. I did the whole distance, just not with the all the planned inclines.

Today, then was a 6 mile long walk. Since my legs had been through a pretty tough week already we walked the whole distance and skipped the running. Next week's long run is a mere 4 miles, which is a nice, short distance, and I should be much less wiped out and more able to run by then, especially if we shuffle the weight workouts to put biceps and back on Fridays.

No comments:

Post a Comment