About Me

My photo
I'm an artist, convenience store general manager, Nine Inch Nails fan, and hopeless internet addict. And now I'm a marathoner! Blogged By Jaye is my general-purpose blog, and Fat to Finish Line is my running journal. Occasional foul language included on both sites.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Marathon Training, Week 16? Is that right? I've lost count.

4 weeks until race day.

4 weeks is not a lot of time.  That's becoming very, very clear to me.  Kind of freaking me out, actually.  One 20 mile long run to go, one 12-miler at race pace, and then I'm on taper.  And then it's race day.  Crazy.

Anyway, went out today for a 12 mile at race pace.  It didn't go as fast as I hoped.  Certainly not the "race pace" I was hoping for.  I'm not upset about it, but it does make me nervous.  Granted, I run on a trail with LOTS of hills, and the marathon course is very flat, so likely I'll have an easier go on race day than I have on any training run.  The first few miles were right on target race pace, but my splits got worse towards the end.  I could make all sorts of excuses about why my pace didn't hold up, but that's not helpful.  I ran more than I have been (yay for having fun running!) and thought I was keeping a really good walking pace.  Looking at the data, though, my walking pace was NOT up to par.  My running speed was typical, and yes, I did run more than the original plan of 1/4 of each mile, but it wasn't enough to make up for an unusually slow walking pace.  I think that means that I need to do some serious walking over the next four weeks.  Apparently I've neglected that part of my training in my excitement over learning to run.

Still, though, I just keep telling myself that my only goal is to finish.  I don't care if I'm the last one over the finish line as long as I get my participant medal. 

1 comment:

  1. I can barely run a mile without dying! You go! I am planning on running a 5k at Disney in February. Peanuts, I know, but I am excited. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete